13 soldiers were killed and 48 wounded on Dec.17 in a car bomb blast that targeted a bus transporting them in the central city of Kayseri, the Turkish Armed Forces said.
The soldiers - all low-ranking privates and non-commissioned officers - had been given permission for leave from the commando headquarters in the city, it said in a statement.
The wounded were being treated in hospital while there could also be additional civilian casualties, it added.
Turkey's Dogan news agency had said the blast hit the bus as it drove past a car believed to be packed with explosives.
Broadcaster NTV also said the bus was carrying off-duty soldiers and civilians when it was hit by the blast near a bus stop at the campus of Erciyes University.
Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Veysi Kaynak said on Saturday that a car bomb attack on a bus carrying off-duty soldiers in the central city of Kayseri had wounded some people, but that the death toll was unclear.
Kaynak speaking to reporters in comments broadcast live on television, said the attack targeted the bus and resembled the twin attacks last week outside an Istanbul soccer stadium.
Hospital sources in Kayseri earlier confirmed that more than 25 people had been wounded and some killed in the blast.
Moreover, Kayseri Governor Süleyman Kamçı said it was a suicide attack. “The car bomb was detonated by a suicide attacker,” Kamçı said.
Meanwhile, Turkey’s media watchdog, the Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK), imposed a temporary ban that includes live broadcast from the scene, footage taken from the time of the blast and afterwards, and images of bodies, the agency said in a statement.
An investigation to the attack is underway.
The blast came a week after a twin bombing outside an Istanbul soccer stadium killed 44 people and wounded more than 100, an attack claimed by outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militants.