AGENDA Haberleri Tümü

Iran Calls on Erdogan to Show More Responsible Attitude

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif urged Turkey to act responsibly in a bid to help restore calm and peace to the Middle East.

(FNA) Zarif’s remarks came after Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan claimed on Thursday that "Iran is trying to dominate the region” and also alleged that Tehran’s measures are annoying Turkey and Saudi Arabia as well as some Persian Gulf Arab countries.

"We attach great importance to our strategic relations with Turkey in different fields and under the present conditions all countries should try to establish stability and prevent the spread of insecurity in the region,” the Iranian foreign minister said in reaction to Erdogan's statements on Friday.

"Those who have caused irreparable damage with their strategic mistakes and ambitious policies should utilize the existing capacities to establish calm and convergence in the region through adopting responsible policies," Zarif added.

The Iranian foreign minister, meantime, pointed to the Saudi-led airstrikes on Yemen, and said, "Iran with the help of all its regional brothers is ready to facilitate dialogue among different Yemeni groups for the sake of (Yemen's) integrity and return of stability and security to that country."

Turkey is a member of the Saudi-led coalition of countries that have launched an act of aggression against Yemen.

Saudi Arabia launched airstrikes against Yemen and killed, at least, 25 civilians early Thursday, one day after the US-backed Yemeni president fled the country.

Also, 15 more people were killed and injured in a second round of massive attacks by the Saudi Arabian fighter jets in the Northwestern Yemeni city of Sa’ada on Friday.

Yemen’s al-Massira TV reported that the Saudi air force targeted civilians who were shopping in a market.

On Thursday, the Iranian foreign ministry deplored the airstrike, calling it a "dangerous" move in violation of international obligations for respecting countries' national sovereignty.

"Resorting to military acts against Yemen which is entangled in an internal crisis and fighting terrorism will further complicate the situation, spread the range of crisis and destroy opportunities to settle the internal differences in Yemen peacefully," Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marziyeh Afkham said.

She underlined the necessity for implementing national agreements among the Yemeni groups and parties as soon as possible, and called for an immediate halt to air strikes and military acts against the Yemeni people and the country.

Afkham expressed concern about the spread of extremism and strengthening terrorism, and said, "This aggression will merely result in the spread of terrorism and extremism and will spread insecurity to the entire region."

Five Persian Gulf States -- Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Bahrain, Qatar and Kuwait -- backed by the US have declared war on Yemen in a joint statement issued earlier Thursday.

US President Barack Obama authorized the provision of logistical and intelligence support to the military operations, National Security Council Spokesperson Bernadette Meehan said late Wednesday night.

She added that while US forces were not taking direct military action in Yemen, Washington was establishing a Joint Planning Cell with Saudi Arabia to coordinate US military and intelligence support.

Riyadh claimed that it has bombed the positions of the Ansarullah fighters and launched attacks against the Sana'a airport and the Dulaimi airbase.

Despite Riyadh's claims that it is attacking Ansarullah positions, Saudi warplanes have flattened a number of homes near Sana’a international airport. Based on early reports, the Saudi airstrikes on Yemen have so far claimed the lives of 40 civilians.

Yorum Gönder
Yorumunuz onaylanmak üzere yöneticiye iletilmiştir. Teşekkür Ederiz.
Yorumunuz onaylanmıştır, teşekkür ederiz.
Ad Soyad
Yorumunuz
Facebook Yorumları